- In this episode we learn about the power of list making, delegation, getting to know your guest, avoiding hipsters, and accommodating the people who work for you.
Angela Stowell got her start in the hospitality industry scooping ice cream and boy… has she come along way! She has been a server and a wine sales rep, but her current role is as the Chief Financial Officer of Ethan Stowell Restaurants, which consist of (and correct me if I’m wrong) 9 restaurants (all with their own unique concept), two pizza shops, a wine cellar, and an artisan pasta shop.
Success or Leadership Quote/Mantra: It’s important that we give back to our family, our employees, and our community.
- Ability to prioritize task throughout the day. Hardcore list keeper.
- Angela uses Google Calendar.
- Doesn’t procrastinate. When you procrastinate you can’t control your days.
- Amazing delegator. You need to know how to delegate when you own 12 restaurants.
Industry Challenge or Failure
- Not clearly communicating the expectations to a chef, who ended up having to be terminated.
- Angela believes it was her failure in providing communicating and other tools necessary that would ensure the chef would be successful.
- Angela also believes she could have been more forward in her expectations.
- You have to get to know your customers. The banks aren’t going to fund your first restaurant; your guest are.
- Don’t be afraid to tell your guest what your goals are. People purchase the who’s and why’s of your restaurants.
- Hire good, positive, and compassionate people who naturally give off a hospitable feeling.
- Don’t hire the “cool hipster.”
- You need to give back to your employees and one of the ways to give back is by providing an environment where people want to stay and work for you.
- You need to accommodate your employees personal lives.
Advice on Marketing
- Take something your passionate about and find a way to use your passion to help others.
Objective Product/Service Review Suggestion
- Headspace app–Get your Headspace wherever you go with our Meditation App for your mobile, available for both iPhone & Android. Sign up for free today!
- Venga– Integrating OpenTable with your POS to drive repeat visits and power the guest experience. Personalize service, target marketing, and reveal trends.
- Ctuit– the creator of RADAR, a restaurant management software suite of tools and dashboards that give insight into restaurant activities and performance.
- Dropbox.com– a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
- Have a website that is responsive. A responsive website will automatically adapt to whatever device you’re using.
- Gratafy– is an award-winning mobile gifting platform that allows users to instantly gift unique menu items like a bottle of wine.
Best Business Advice
- Spend money upfront so you don’t have to spend or lose money later.
- Pinching pennies early can cause big expenses later.